This car came with very little aftermarket stuff, the most apparent are the fog lights. There are two things I don’t like about them: the position, and the functionality. I think they should be lower, like right below the bumper. It would also be nice if they worked. Putting them below the bumper would hang these particular lights a little low, however, losing me that valuable ground clearance I crave. To get these off I had to remove the grill:
You will see on my fender there is some window screen material, I really like this as it keeps the radiator from getting clogged with leaves and crap. The wires for the lights were run around an existing wiring harness and I had to remove the grill to get them unplugged. Now we can have a look at the bulbs:
So, those are going away. I could theoretically sandblast and paint them, but why? I don’t really like them very much. These brackets, however…
I feel like I can re-use these for my under-bumper fog light. This is the sort of custom work I like to see on a vehicle. Now I have a cable coming out near the radiator that is controlled by a switch in the dash. That is perfect for my new fog light.
That’s that! or so I thought. While re-assembling the grill I broke off a bit. I decided that since I didn’t have JB weld that some VHB and a chunk of aluminum angle would hold that tight enough.
There, that ends my removal of the old, broken, and very rusty fog lights. The new one is planned to be a yellow LED strip on a bracket along the bottom of the bumper.
The home page for this project is here, it has a link to the album of pictures.