One of the last things I noticed on my initial trip home was that I had a small leak at the top of the A-pillar trim. I noticed this because I had a drip onto my left leg (interesting how much this car tapers up as a trapezoid). I took the trim off one night and had a loot around the windshield to find the potential culprit.
What I found was consistent spots with surface rust around the lip where the body meets the windshield sealant. The spots themselves weren’t rust, but they were carried by the water and deposited on the surface for me to see. I’m not sure if this is the original windshield and the original sealant but some of it has become hard and de-laminated from the body. I know some was added because it’s not done very well and it covers the windshield clips gluing them to the car.
I took off the stainless trim to clean out the old dirt, leaves, and shitty sealant before adding some of my own on top. One day I’m sure I will break the windshield and then I’ll make sure it’s cleaned out well before applying the new sealant, but for now I’m just going to be adding my own.
The stuff I got is mean, it’s sticky as hell and even claims to be able to be applied in the wet. I think I bought two tubes and ended up using half of one (better to not have to go back out) but it was worth it. I was a little hesitant at re-installing all the windshield clips that were broken but they weren’t that broken and I ordered some new ones from ebay so when they come in I’ll reinstall the trim with those.
Lucky for me about two hours after I get it all back together the sky absolutely erupts in a severe thunderstorm as the perfect way to check my work. Not. A. Drop. I put the trim back and all is well now with the windshield. Another little quirk fixed.
The home page for this project is here, it has a link to the album of pictures.